Cannoli are tasty sweet treats that are perfect for snacking on the go. They are served in donuts shops and bakers all over the world and are usually one of the most popular items on the shelves. The soft and creamy filling goes great with the crispy and crunchy shell. They can be topped with almost anything, including chocolate chips, fruit, and various syrups.
If you buy cannoli from the store, they can be expensive. If you want to serve them to your family or take them to a large gather of people, this may not be a very budget-friendly option. You can easily make them at home for much less.
When you make your own cannoli, you can also play around with the recipe and come up with different flavors and variations. Here are 14 Italian recipes for Cannoli that are sure to satisfy your cravings for something sweet.
1. Chocolate Ice Cream Cannoli
This easy recipe takes cannoli to the next level and turns them into frozen treats. This is better than an ice cream cone but just as easy to make. You can even make them ahead of time and store them in your freezer.
- Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder
- Egg white
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add the shortening and stir with a fork until the mixture turns into a crumble.
- In another bowl, add the eggs, milk, and honey.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until it forms a dough.
- Separate the dough into two pieces.
- Flour your work surface and roll out the dough balls.
- Cut into even squares.
- Wrap the cut squares around a cannoli maker and use the egg white to hold it all together. Press to seal the dough in place.
- Fry the shells until golden brown and set aside.
- Fill the shells with chocolate ice creams and freeze.
- Serve cold.