If you’re looking for a change from your same old risotto recipe, this guide has got you covered.
From the quick and easy right through to some more detailed delicacies, you’ll find everything you need along with plenty of variety here to suit any appetite and every occasion.
Having a dinner party? Have a look at a few of the little seafood numbers we’ve assembled here for you.
Need something healthy to feed the family on a budget? A few of these recipes can be thrown together with whatever you have hanging around in the fridge.
Risotto can be simple or complicated, it’s up to you, but the beauty of this classic Italian dish is in its versatility. Get the rice right and you’re onto a winner. Get the added ingredients right though, and you’ll end up making something so delicious that you keep them coming back for more, whoever they happen to be.
1. Mushroom Risotto
A classic. If you’re vegetarian, chances are that you’ve played it safe with this option more than once before. Whilst pretty ‘normal’, this dish doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
Preparation: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
- 50 – 75g dried mushrooms
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms
- 300g risotto rice
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 glass white wine
- 25g butter
- Handful of chopped parsley leaves
- 50g grated parmesan
- Pour boiling water over the dried mushrooms, before allowing them to soak for 20 minutes. Then drain mushrooms until liquid has gone from the bowl. Keep the liqud!
- Add stock cube to liquid to make mushroom stock.
- In a frying pan or sauce pan, add the onion and the garlic to heated olive oil.
- Then stir in all of the mushrooms, including chestnut mushrooms. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add risotto rice to the pan and cook for 1 minute, before pouring over the wine. Allow to bubble.
- On a medium heat, add a third of the mushroom stock. Simmer and stir rice until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Add another third of the stock and as the dish becomes creamy, keep stirring. Add final third of stock at this point.
- Stir until the rice is cooked.
- Add butter, parmesan and parsley leaves.
- Cover, leave for a few minutes and then serve!